Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 46-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 75,000 proud and successful alumni and partners with nearly 20,000 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
SUNY Empire State College seeks an Associate Dean for Labor Programs / Executive Director of the Harry Van Arsdale Jr. Center for Labor Studies in Manhattan. Located at the Van Arsdale Center in New York City, this person will be responsible for leading the current Van Arsdale labor studies program as well as leading and developing labor-related undergraduate programs throughout Empire State College.
In concert with Academic Affairs leadership and the Vice President for Enrollment Management (VPEM), the Associate Dean/ Executive Director expands student success through the academic quality of the labor studies program, innovation in teaching, mentoring and learning, robust student and academic services addressing the needs of our working students, and outstanding faculty and staff. The Associate Dean/Executive Director will strengthen and grow partnerships with labor organizations across New York State and the U.S. and assess the potential for international partnerships.
The Associate Dean/Executive Director reports to, and works closely with, the Dean of Undergraduate Studies, and joins a collaborative peer group of Associate Deans supervising faculty in other broad disciplinary areas; and works closely and collaboratively with academic and enrollment management leadership throughout the college.
Responsibilities include supervision of faculty and staff; including recruitment, hiring and evaluation of full-time, part-time, and adjunct faculty and staff. This leadership position is responsible for faculty development related to mentoring, teaching, scholarship, as well as college and community service and continued growth. The successful candidate will promote a dynamic and collaborative environment supporting faculty and staff efforts college-wide in development of labor related learning opportunities across multiple teaching modalities, development of new degree programs in the field, assessment of learning outcomes and enhanced student support and enrollment services.
- Develops and strengthens academic partnerships with labor organizations in NYC, across New York State and the U.S.
- Provides leadership for academic quality review and outcomes assessment projects, working with faculty and staff
- Provides leadership on development and review of curricula, including curricular breadth, depth, and quality
- Collaborates with the Office of the Registrar and the Office of Enrollment Management in providing appropriate capacity to maximize various courses and modalities
- Collaborates with faculty and the Office of Academic Affairs leadership on new labor studies program development
- Provides ongoing faculty development, and conducts personnel reviews, for full and part time faculty in the academic area
- Connects faculty to curriculum and instructional design resources, and encourages and supports individual faculty scholarly and creative work.
- Supervises full and part-time faculty in the academic area
- Provides oversight for student waivers, grievances, appeals, academic standing (SAP, GPA, POP), reinstatements, conduct and disciplinary cases
- Collaborates with Academic Affairs and Enrollment Management leadership with developing outreach initiatives
- Promotes the visibility and reputation of the Labor Studies Program at Empire State College
- Manages fiscal resources to include budget planning and execution in consultation with the Dean
- An earned doctorate from a regionally accredited U.S. university or comparable non-U.S. university
- Demonstrated successful experience in academic administration including curriculum development, outcomes assessment and the supervision of tenured and adjunct faculty
- Demonstrated leadership in successful development of academic programs and partnerships
- Experience working with labor organizations and demonstrated understanding and familiarity with the labor movement
- Respected as someone with a "labor presence" in the wider labor community
- Excellent communication skills
- A record of scholarly activity
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion in higher education and within our communities
- Direct experience with programmatic accreditation, research based grant initiatives, applying outcomes assessment in leading innovative teaching and learning initiatives
- A vision for guiding the future direction of labor studies at Empire State College
- Experience with online and blended delivery models
- Proven affinity with the mission of the college
- Ability to support productive dialog
This is a Management/Confidential position. Travel to regions with other Empire State College locations is required, along with occasional evening and weekend obligations. VISA sponsorship is not available for this position.
Rank/Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Applications Due: Applications accepted until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button :
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants - Please click here to login to your Empire State College Employment Account to check your completed application or to update your account.